How to: Do The Glute Bridge
Name: Glute Bridge
Also known as: (if you know this by any other name, leave a comment below).
Main muscles used: Gluteals (bum)
Other muscles used: Hamstrings
- Lay flat on yur back, legs strongly bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Keep your upper and lower back on/close to the floor.
- Squeeze your butt cheeks together and use these muscles to raise your butt off the floor.
- Try to get your hips in line with your upper legs.
- Hold the hips raised, butt clenched position for a second, then relax.
- Failing to squeeze your butt cheeks and letting your back and hamstrings do all the work.
- Lifting your whole back off the floor, leaving only your shoulders on the ground (this is a different exercise).
- Not getting your hips to line up with your legs, and letting your butt hang down to the floor.
A major purpose of the gluteals is to extend the hips (push the legs backwards). The Glute Bridge helps wake up and practice this movement pattern, so we can do it properly when we stand, walk, run, jump, kick etc. So in this situation, you would do a few sets of these during your warm ups to “switch on” your bum.